The inception of Yahoo webmail services has brought a spectacular change in the lifestyle of people accessing the web. This was something, the internet users were desperately waiting for. Earlier, they had only desktops and laptops using these, email services could be accessed with limited features and functionalities.
As the time moved on; significant changes took place in the webmail services offered by Y! that made users feel like using webmail services for performing certain activities such as messaging, sending attached files, chatting with friends, scheduling events, creating drafts for saving confidential details that can be accessed anywhere.
To be surprising, there was no sign of Smartphone and people had never thought that there would be something like App using which not only inbox messages but every task can be executed in seconds. But, it actually happened and things changed drastically. Yahoo did not want to lose its image worldwide so an app was developed for the smartphone (Android and iOS) device users to make them feel comfortable.
Though the things started becoming convenient for Yahoo users with the launch of app, malicious activities increased to the huge extent due to loopholes in webmail security provided by users. The security breach happening in 500 million Yahoo accounts twice in a year (September and December) depicts the complete story.
After this, people have become cautious; who used to pay deaf ears to the suggestions given by Yahoo for making modifications in the account security every fortnight or on weekly/bi-weekly basis.
If you are one of those people who have been at the sufferers end due to this security breach attack made by spammers and looking to delete Yahoo mail account, then it is advised to recover Yahoo account to prevent misuse of data stored in email inbox and then take essential backups before executing the steps of terminating your email account.
People generally face problems while terminating Yahoo account as they end up deactivating email account instead of deleting it permanently to prevent it from identity theft. Actually, the exact reason is that people are generally confused amid deactivation and deletion of Y! mail account. They do not have the exact idea regarding how to deactivate yahoo mail account as well as the process to terminate Y! email account on a permanent basis.
If you are one amongst them, then consider these steps properly for terminating your Yahoo account. But it is also mandatory to keep yourself aware of the things that need to be considered before deleting or deactivating Yahoo account permanently.
Things to Consider Before Terminating Your Yahoo Account
Y! Mail account can be deleted or terminated by applying a set of procedure, using a web browser or app. Once these methods are applied successfully; you cannot reactivate Yahoo account as the process is completely irrevocable. Upon execution of this process, all your inbox messages will be removed and cannot recover those at any cost even if you change the mind within 90 days of grace period.
There are certain points that need to be considered at the earliest before deleting Yahoo email account:
- Delete all the child accounts that are associated with the Yahoo account, which is supposed to be terminated.
- Do remember to take backup of entire Y! email account before processing the account delete request. Do make sure that entire backup is taken successfully before executing account deletion process.
- Make sure, there is a secondary email account active and work properly for communicating with the known ones.
- After the completion of 90 days grace period, no-one can re-activate webmail account.
- Upon deactivation of Yahoo account, you will not be able to create a new account with Y! Mail using some login id to maintain the privacy of deleted email users.
- Change email password for security purpose even if you are not planning to use this account any more as it ought to be done to prevent identity theft.
- Remove all the essential details such as internet banking login information and other secure information before you delete Yahoo account permanently.
How to Deactivate Yahoo Mail Account Permanently? Methods and Steps Enumerated
There are certain methods and techniques to deactivate Yahoo mail account. But many people; somehow, are not aware of it. Though Y! account deletion can be done using a web browser and app (installed on smartphone device) but those steps are supposed to be revealed for the convenience email users.
Here are the methods and steps regarding how to deactivate Yahoo account permanently, which help users understand the difference amid delete and temporary deactivation of webmail account.
Using Web Browser on Desktop and Laptop Device
- Open a web browser and type the shortened URL of Yahoo account deletion process Yahoo.com/delete
- As the page is displayed, enter the login details to verify your ownership of the account
- Once the new page is displayed with the text message, your identity needs to be confirmed by providing the email account password.
- Upon providing the password, scroll the page downwards to enter the captcha code in the empty provided alongside.
- Now click on the button to terminate this account.
Using Yahoo App on Smartphone Device
- Unlock your smartphone device and tap on Yahoo app.
- Navigate to account option as depicted with a three-line
- Select Manage.
- Tap on email account as seen in the list
- Upon selecting the specified email account, remove account option is seen on the screen.
- Tap on the very same option and then click on confirmation link as sent on the alternate email account.
- As you click on the same, the Yahoo account is de-activated temporarily for 90 days. In case a user re-activates Y! email account within 90 days grace period, he/she will lose the entire data.
Upon executing these above-mentioned steps, your account gets deactivated temporarily for 90 days. In case, you change the mind and want to re-activate Yahoo account, do remember that all your inbox and other messages are truncated completely. In any case, you won’t be able to restore the lost messages that were earlier getting reflected in the inbox and other folders.
As the grace period is over, you won’t be able to login into Yahoo account as the sign-in details offered during the time of email account registration.
Yahoo Deletes or Deactivates Email Account!! Reasons Specified
Sometimes, Yahoo Inc terminates email account without any notice due to certain reasons, which are specified below.
- User requested Yahoo to delete email account
- The email account was not accessed from past 12 months or 1 year.
- The webmail account is violating the terms and conditions that were accepted by users during the time of registration.
Therefore it is always recommended to keep taking backup of the inbox and other messages stored in Y! account if you decide not to access Yahoo email account anymore to maintain data security.
In nutshell, the core differences between temporary deactivation and permanent re-activation of Yahoo email account are:
- Users will lose entire messages stored in Yahoo inbox and another folder upon deactivation of Yahoo account upon access of webmail account with 90 days grace period but in the case of deleting Yahoo account on a permanent basis, you will not able to use sign-in credentials to access webmail account.
- Users can use the same login id to access Yahoo account upon deactivation but he/she cannot use the login id to create new Y! Email account for any purpose.
Yahoo Help Center:
- Looking for Yahoo deactivation helpline number
- Delete Yahoo account customer care
- Yahoo technical support for deactivating account